I recently learned how to make my own bread at home and it’s so much fun! Don’t be discouraged- making bread is a lot easier than you think and once you learn the skill, you know it forever!
All you need for this recipe are 5 simple ingredients: flour, yeast, pink salt, sugar & olive oil. I add seed mixes to my dough, however this is optional and you can still follow the same instructions with or without the seed mix added.
Below you will find the recipe as well as instructions for each step of the way!
- 3 cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- 30 ml of olive oil
- 1 cup + 50 ml water
- 5 grams yeast
- 2.5 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoons seed mix (optional)
Preparation Time: 1 hour 45 minutes to rise + 45 minutes bake time.
- Activate Yeast: In a small bowl or glass cup, stir the yeast into 50 ml of warm water. Add the sugar and let stand for 10 minutes. If mixture doubles in volume, it’s active.
- Add flour, salt, olive oil and water to a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and knead with your hands until a dough is formed. You may have to add more water or flour at this time to get the right consistency!
- Form dough into a ball, cover bowl and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and lay on a flat surface. Try to push out all of the excess air with your fingers until it feels flat. Roll into a loaf shape.
- Once the shape of your loaf is formed let it rise for 1 hour.
- Put a small tray of water in the bottom of the oven and preheat to 390°F/200°C. The tray of water adds moisture to the bread and ensures that it won’t dry out while baking.
- Coat the top of your loaf with a bit of olive oil and add some sunflower seeds if you’d like. Put it in the oven and let bake for 45 minutes or until loaf appears golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool and enjoy!!