Pancakes have always been my favourite breakfast food! But ever since I went vegan, I had trouble finding a plant-based recipe that I actually liked. I found that some recipes lacked flavour, while others produced pretty flat looking pancakes (which isn’t my thing)!
Until, I found a recipe online and modified it! It turns out that the secret to fluffy and delicious buttermilk style pancakes is actually apple cider vinegar. When you combine apple cider vinegar with milk, it produces somewhat of a thick mixture that is perfect for achieving that cloud like texture that I’ve been craving!
This recipe is actually pretty simple and easy to make. I made sure to only include ingredients that most people already have at home, with the exception of apple cider vinegar. So without further ado, here’s your new favourite plant-based breakfast recipe!
- 1 cup of plant-based milk (I used Vanilla Almond Milk)
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter (+ a bit extra for cooking)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips
- Start by combining the milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside and let sit for at least 5 minutes, while you measure out the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, butter and baking powder. Mix until all of the ingredients are blended together.
- Add the milk mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix using a whisk. Be sure to smooth the batter out as much as possible! Once the batter is smooth, add in the chocolate chips.
- Prepare a lightly buttered pan on medium heat and use a big spoon to scoop your pancake into the pan once it’s heated.
- Flip using a spatula after about 4 minutes, or until the underside looks golden brown.
- Let cook for an additional 3-4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with maple syrup, fresh fruits and icing sugar!
- If you want your pancakes to be extremely fluffy, try using an electric mixer instead!
- Using vanilla flavoured milk will make your pancakes taste better.
- Make sure the pan is fully heated so the pancakes bubble a bit on the sides when you add them in!