Having an egg or two for breakfast is surprisingly not that healthy. Just one egg has about 185 milligrams of cholesterol which increases your risk of cardiovascular disease by 6%. Luckily, there is a much healthier alternative in town that won’t cause you to compromise your tastebuds. This vegan scrambled egg recipe is full of flavour, tastes just like real eggs but is much healthier!
I really like this recipe because it contains about 28 grams of plant-based protein, is high in Vitamin B12 and contains so many vital nutrients such as phytoestrogen which has so many health benefits. And all you need is tofu, nutritional yeast, some spices and fresh veggies!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 small white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 mushrooms
- Half of a red pepper
- Half a container of cherry tomatoes
- ½ block of extra firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 5 drops of smoke flavouring
Preparation time: 10 minutes to prepare ingredients + 15 minutes cook time
Serving Size: Serves 1-2 people
- Start by preparing your ingredients: chop white onion, garlic, mushrooms and red pepper into small cubes. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium pan and stir in all of the veggies except for the cherry tomatoes. Let cook for a few minutes on medium heat.
- In the meantime, combine the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, chilli powder and water in a small bowl to make a paste.
- Using your fingers crumble the tofu into your pan while the veggies are frying. Mix together.
- Pour the nutritional yeast mixture into the pan making sure to distribute it evenly over the tofu.
- Add in the mini tomatoes, tamari and smoke flavouring.
- Mix all of the ingredients together and add in salt + pepper to taste.
- Cook for about 10 minutes and serve while hot with fresh avocados, toast and a smoothie! Voila, you have yourself a healthy breakfast 🙂
- When you’re buying tofu, make sure that it’s non-GMO. Genetically modified soy does not have the same health benefits.
- I typically buy my nutritional yeast from Bulk Barn because it’s the most cost efficient. However, you can order nutritional yeast on Amazon and even find it at Whole Foods. To learn more about the health benefits of nutritional yeast, click here!
- Other than that, have fun cooking this healthy and nutritious breakfast 🙂
2 thoughts on “Tofu Scramble with Fresh Veggies”
Get Outlook for iOS
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person