Tacos are one of my favourite go-to lunch ideas! They’re so tasty, filling and surprisingly not that bad for you (depending on what your toppings are of course!) For years, I bought tortilla wraps from the store but all honesty, I really disliked them. I always felt like they made my vegetable wraps or tacos unhealthy because they’re filled with preservatives and processed ingredients.
I always found that they didn’t taste the best and got soggy after adding tomatoes. For years, I honestly didn’t know that there was a cheaper, healthier and tastier version to store bought tortilla wraps.
Until, My boyfriends mom Claudia showed me this AMAZING recipe!
All you need is Corn Flour (Maseca) and water! The best thing about this recipe is that it’s also 100% plant-based, gluten free and contains only one ingredient- corn treated with lime!
For the Tortillas:
- 2 cups Maseca Corn Flour
- 1 1/2 cup of water (you may need a bit extra)
For the toppings:
- 1 block of tofu
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed
- 1 can black beans
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 tomato
- Plant-based Spicy Mayo
- In a large bowl, combine the corn flour and water. Use your hands to form a dough. I like to have a bit of water on the side just in case.
- When a nice and moist dough is formed, cover and set aside.
- Now it’s time to set up your tortilla making station: place a piece of plastic wrap over a cutting board or clean surface with the edge hanging off of the surface (watch the video above for reference).
- Take a golfball sized piece of dough, and place it in the center of the plastic wrap. Fold the plastic wrap over the dough, and use a plate to press.
- When you remove the plate, use your hands to flatten and even out the dough into a nice circular shape.
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat, your pan may smoke from the high temperature so be careful.
- When the pan is heated, remove the top layer of plastic wrap and flip the tortilla onto your hand. Transfer it to the heated pan.
- Let cook for about 5 minutes, or until the underside looks golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- When you remove the tortilla from the pan, it’s crucial to set aside and cover it with a lid! The steam is the secret to making these tortillas nice and soft, otherwise they won’t be flexible at all!
- Continue the process until all of the dough is used up and top with your favourite taco ingredients!
- Having extra water on the side while preparing the dough really helps! It’s better to have dough that’s too moist, than too dry.
- When cooking, the pan may smoke so make sure you cook with a window open! My fire alarm usually goes off when making this recipe.
- It’s crucial to cover the tortillas with a lid as soon as they’re removed from heat!
I hope you liked this simple, affordable and tasty recipe! Be sure to subscribe to my brand new Youtube Channel for more Recipes and Fitness content!