Okay so this isn’t my healthiest recipe, but it is healthier than Taco Bell’s version! I always encourage my clients to reward themselves for staying on track and being consistent with their health- and this is the perfect way. This recipe is 100% plant based and gives you that cheesy goodness that we all crave 🤤.
It’s important to realize that it is completely okay to eat junk food sometimes! If you always ate health foods such as lentils, beans and fruits, you would become very bored with your diet and eventually not want to follow it anymore. So my advice? Eat the foods that you crave- in moderation!
The great thing about this recipe is that it actually is healthier than a Crunchwrap from Taco Bell. I used soy in place of beef, and plant based cheese instead of cheese made from cows milk. Using your own veggies at home tastes a lot better than eating toppings that have been prepared for a fast food restaurant, too!
So without further ado, here is my fresh plant based version of a Crunchwrap Supreme! 🌮
For the Base
- 1 white onion
- 4 mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Half of a green pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup of plant based beef (I used Gardein)
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons of liquid smoke
- Taco Seasoning
For the Toppings:
- 1/3 head of lettuce
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- Vegan sour cream (optional)
- About half a cup of plant-based cheddar
- 4 soft tortillas
- 3 taco shells broken or tortilla chips for the crunchy layer
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Serving size: Makes 4 crunchwraps
- Start by preparing the base: chop onions, garlic, mushrooms, green peppers and grate the carrot.
- Place base in a saucepan over medium heat with soy sauce and liquid smoke. Let cook for 2 minutes and add in the plant based beef.
- Mix in a bit of water with taco seasoning and let cook for 5 more minutes, remove from heat.
- Now it’s time to prepare the toppings! Chop the lettuce, slice the tomatoes and mash avocados and place on either a plate or bowl to make it easier to prepare your crunchwrap.
- Prepare a lightly oiled pan on medium heat so that it will seal nicely as soon as it’s ready.
- Take a soft tortilla and layer your ingredients in the centre (make sure you leave enough room to fold the edges over) I started with avocado, then added the plant based beef, cheddar, soft tortilla chips, tomatoes and lettuce. But you can customize yours however you like 😎
- I watched this video to learn how to properly fold a crunchwrap and although it’s very random to watch Taco Bell training videos… I highly suggest it for this purpose haha.
- Transfer your masterpiece to the heated pan, folded edge side down. It should make a nice sizzle. Reduce heat to medium-low to allow all of the ingredients inside to properly melt and cook.
- Flip after about 3 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cook the other side for about the same amount of time and remove from heat.
- Cut in half and voila! You have a delicious, healthy version of the Crunchwrap Supreme made by you👩🍳👨🍳✨
- Watch the video that I linked above to learn how to properly fold the edges over, it will save you a lot of time!
- My Crunchwrap honestly looked far from perfect after folding it, but once I put it in the pan on medium heat, the edges sealed nicely and it ended up turning out better than I thought! So don’t be discouraged if it looks like an absolute mess at first- the cooking process is what really brings it together.
- Thank you for reading my recipe! Check out my Recipes page for more plant-based goodness 🥰