One of my favourite plant based meals to eat is black bean burgers!! Just one cup of black beans will set you up with 41 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of fiber, 15 grams of protein, and various other nutrients that all aid in healthy digestion and keep you feeling full for longer!
Cooking with dried black beans is also very cost efficient, with one cup only costing about $0.30 you can’t really go wrong!
The key is to use an Instant Pot if you have a bit of time to spare. Instant Pots are amazing because they can cook dried beans under 40 minutes without having to soak them overnight. They also retain nutrients and are one of the best methods for cooking dried beans, lentils and raw veggies into fresh delicious meals!
But if you don’t have an Instant pot or are short on time, you can use one can of black beans instead.
For the bean burgers:
- 1 cup of dried black beans
- 3 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke flavouring
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Romaine lettuce (I used 3 pieces)
- Half a cucumber, sliced
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Vegan Mayo
- Burger buns
Preparation time: 45 minutes using dried beans or 20 minutes using canned beans
Serving size: Makes 4 burgers
- Start by measuring one cup of dried black beans and placing them in your Instant Pot. Select Pressure Cook and set the timer to 35 minutes.
- In the meantime, start preparing your veggies and toppings. Chop the mushrooms, white onion and garlic. Grate the carrot and slice the cucumbers and tomatoes. Set aside.
- When the Instant Pot has a few minutes left, heat up a saucepan on medium heat with a bit of oil.
- Add in the mushrooms, onion, garlic and half of the grated carrot. Let simmer with the soy sauce and smoke flavouring for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the black beans and add directly into the saucepan. Mix until all of the ingredients are combined within the pan. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat and preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Start forming 4 nicely sized patties with your hands and place them on a baking sheet. No need to oil the pan!
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and now it’s time to assemble your masterpiece! Add your favourite toppings and enjoy!
- You can store the other patties in a container in your fridge and re-bake them again! They will stay fresh for about 1-2 days.
- If you have never cooked with liquid smoke flavouring before- you should totally start! I order mine from Amazon or buy it at Food Basics. It’s a great addition to any food and adds that delicious smoky flavouring 😛
- You can also add cheese to the bean burger mix and bake it in! It tastes delicious and is a great substitute to a regular cheese burger ⚡️
- Thank you for reading my recipe! Be sure to check out my Instagram page for more healthy lifestyle and nutrition tips 💪🏼
1 thought on “Black Bean Burgers”